IN ROCKVILLE CENTRE PARISHES AND SCHOOLS
This detailed table provides links to information about priests who have worked in Rockville Centre and who have been publicly accused of sexual abuse.
We have also included preliminary lists of the parishes and schools where the priests were assigned. Each of these places is a vulnerable community, where victims might not yet have come forward. This table is a work in progress. If you have corrections or additions, please email us at email@example.com. This table was last updated on 4/16/07.
We thank an anonymous source who provided us with copies and summaries of pages from a 1990 diocesan Directory of Priests, which gives start/stop dates for assignments. In building the assignment records, we have supplemented that data with information from the Official Catholic Directory (referred to as the Directory below) and from media coverage. The Directory does not provide start/stop dates. Every U.S. diocese keeps start/stop records for each of their priests; those records for Rockville Centre have not been released. (For an example, see a priest's assignment record subpoenaed from the Boston archdiocesan files.)
Note: In January 2005, Bishop Murphy announced that the allegations cited below against Revs. Brian J. Brinker and Michael A. Carroll were deemed unsubstantiated by the Vatican. The church has cleared both men to return to ministry. Rev. William R. Logan was suspended in March 2006 and reinstated in September 2006. This table lists all priests against whom allegations have been made public. We remind our readers that under U.S. law, a person is considered innocent until proven guilty.
| Allen | Babis | Bergin | Brinker | Burke | Butler | Carroll | Chasse |Congro | DeVita | Ditta | Duvelsdorf |Ferraro|Fitzgerald|Hands |Hasselbach | Huneke | Logan | Magee | Mahoney | Massaro | McComiskey | McConaghy | McKeon | Michell | Millar |Miller|Miraglia | Mott | Mundy | Murphy | Nee | Newman | Placa | Ribaudo | Riordan |Saccacio| Saloy | Schaefer | Sheehan | Soave | Stegmann |Unterstein|Vollmer | Priest G | Priest K | Priest L | Priest N | Priest Q | Priest R |Priest S | Priest U|
Allen, Peter A.
- Born 1/21/45.
|County prosecutors are investigating a 2006 accusation that Allen sexually abused one person on one occasion. The diocese considers this a "credible allegation" and on 12/12/06 put Allen on administrative leave.|
Babis, Daniel G.
- Ordained 1948
|Accused in 1/9/06 complaint of sexually abusing a boy and girl and three of their siblings from the early 1950s through 1968, when their father confronted Babis. The abuse, which allegedly included fondling and photographing his naked victims, occurred in the children's home while their father was ill, in church buildings including a home for retired nuns, and on overnight trips. Babis was transferred to Florida in 1970. Since the suit was filed, four others reportedly have alleged abuse during the 1960s at Babis's last NY parish: two brothers and a sister in one family and a girl fondled at age nine in the rectory.|
Bergin, James J.
|"While there were a number of victims, the [Grand Jury] report tells the story of one, who was 11 when the abuse started and later died of a drug overdose after receiving a $25,000 settlement from the diocese." Source: Newsday on the Grand Jury Report.|
Brinker, Brian J.
Ordained 6/4/88 SJU & ICS.
- St. James in Seaford (1988-93)
- Nassau County Medical Center in East Meadow (chaplain 1993-99)
- Sacred Heart in North Merrick (residence 1993-98)
- Good Shepherd in Holbrook (1999-2001)
- St. Agnes Cathedral in Rockville Centre (2001-2002)
- Pius X residence for priests (2002- )
|"The Moraitis family was angry nine years ago when it complained to church officials that the Rev. Brian Brinker acted inappropriately toward their 14-year-old son during a trip to California. Now their feelings have turned to outrage." Source: Family Upset.|
Burke, William Michael
- Queen of Peace in Kew Gardens NY in the Brooklyn diocese (1946-53)
- Curé of Ars, St. John M. Vianney in Merrick (1953-57) [this parish was then in the Brooklyn diocese, but was included in the new Rockville Centre diocese when it was formed in 1957]
- St. Catherine of Sienna in Franklin Square (1957-60)
- Absent on leave (1960-61)
- St. Patrick's in Southold (1961-62)
- Absent on leave (1962-68)
- St. Martin's in Amityville (1968-69)
- St. Lawrence the Martyr in Sayville (1969-74)
- St. Andrew's in Sag Harbor (1974-82)
- Sick leave (1982-83)
- St. John the Evangelist in Center Moriches (1983-88)
- Not indexed in the 1989 Directory
- Retired 1990
- Died 3/12/95
|"Burke is accused of sexually abusing an elementary school student at St. Lawrence the Martyr in Sayville in the early 1970s." Source: Lawsuits Detail.|
|Butler, John||Ordained 1957.|
- Cathedral of the Sacred Heart in Richmond VA (1957-58)
- St. Mary Star-of-the-Sea in Fort Monroe VA (1958-60) with mission at St. Joseph's in Buckroe Beach
- St. Peter's in Richmond VA (1960-61) with parish chaplaincy at penitentiary
- St. Joseph's in Kings Park (1961-65) and incardinated in Rockville Centre in these years
- Not indexed in the 1966 Directory
- On duty outside the diocese of Richmond (1966-68) at an unspecified location
- Assumption in Keyser WV in the Richmond diocese (1968-69) with missions at Our Lady of the Valley in Petersburg WV and Our Lady of Grace in Grace WV
- St. Paul's in Richmond (1969-70)
|As choirmaster at St. Joseph’s in Kings Park, Butler allegedly molested more than a dozen choirboys. Source: Little Hope.|
- SS. Philip and James in Phillipsburg NJ (1970-74) in the Trenton diocese
- St. Barnabas in Bayville (1974-75) in the Trenton diocese
- St. Thomas the Apostle in Old Bridge (1975-78) in the Trenton diocese
- St. Robert Bellarmine in Freehold NJ (1978-79) in the Trenton diocese
- Not indexed in the 1980 Directory
- St. John Vianney in Colonia NJ (1980?-84) in the Metuchen diocese
- Not indexed in the 1985 or 1986 Directory
- St. John Vianney in Colonia NJ (1986-2002) in the Metuchen diocese
- Not indexed in the 2003 Directory
Carroll, Michael A.
Ordained 5/11/85 Fordham & ICS.
- St. Catherine of Sienna in Franklin Square (1985-90)
- St. Barnabas the Apostle in Bellmore (1990-93)
- St. Raymond's in East Rockaway (1993-98)
- SS. Philip and James in St. James (1998-2001)
- St. Christopher's in Baldwin (in residence 2001-2002)
- Mercy Medical Center in Rockville Centre (2001-2002)
- Our Lady of Hope in Carle Place (weekend duty)
- Villa St. Joseph Convent in Rockville Centre (2004-2007)
- St. Christopher's in Baldwin (in residence 2004-2007)
|"Assigned to a parish elementary school, this priest had a foot fetish. A nun testified to the grand jury that he had sexual contact with at least four boys and that 'a senior cleric in the diocese, Priest P's pastor, and a deacon, all knew this.' The priest was later reassigned to another parish elementary school, where he entertained boys in his rectory bedroom. He was later sent by the diocese for treatment but continued to celebrate Mass on weekends in a parish." Source: Newsday on the Grand Jury Report.|
|Chasse, Gerard J. "Jerry"||Ordained 1971?|
- St. Patrick's in Bay Shore (1971-72)
- St. Luke's in Brentwood (1972-75)
- Not indexed in the 1976 Directory.
- Mary Immaculate in Bellport (1976-77)
- Immaculate Conception in Butte MT (in residence 1977-80), but not indexed there. The index of the Directory in 1978-80 notes that Chasse is "on duty outside the diocese," but the Rockville Centre pages do not say where. Recent media reports state that Chasse worked in Montana, and by examining the pages for the Helena diocese (western Montana), we located him in Butte.
- Laicized 1980.
|"Among his victims were two brothers. One of the brothers 'tried to tell another parish priest what was happening to him, but he was ignored.' Later, at his sister's wedding, the boy put a note asking for help in the collection basket 'with his name and telephone number ... He never heard anything.'" Source: Newsday on the Grand Jury Report.|
|Congro, Basil Peter||Ordained 1978.|
- St. John Cathedral in Fresno CA (1978-79)
- Christ the King in Commack (1979-81?) with Rev. Duvelsdorf
- St. Mary's in East Islip (1981?-83)
- Military chaplain (1984-94)
- St. Mary's on Yonges Island SC (1994-97)
- St. Anthony's All Souls' Memorial Church in Florence SC (1997-99)
- St. Patrick's in Charleston SC (1999-2002)
- Our Lady of Mercy in Charleston SC (1999-2001)
- St. Frederick's on Edisto Island SC (listed in media coverage; not in Directory)
- St. Stephen's on Edisto Island SC (listed in media coverage; not in Directory)
- Jesus Our Risen Savior in Spartanburg SC (2002- )
|A man has filed a lawsuit stating that Congro had sodomized him during his teen years. The alleged abuse took place in the church rectory, in the confessional, and in gay bars. Source: Lawsuits Detail.|
DeVita, Thomas F.
|- In 1994, the diocese paid $50,000 to a man who was 15 when DeVita sexually abused him, according to the victim’s mother. DeVita admitted publicly to the charges but claimed the boy was 16.|
Ditta, Angelo J.
|"He began abusing a boy when the boy was 10. An associate pastor testified that he heard 'horsing around' in the priest's bedroom and believed it was sexual in nature. The pastor told the grand jury he 'never made an official report to anyone in the diocese' about the priest. The diocese required the priest to receive psychological counseling, and it later assigned him as chaplain to an 'area' hospital, allowing him to celebrate Mass at a parish on weekends." Source: Newsday on the Grand Jury Report.|
Duvelsdorf, Peter L.
Ordained 5/31/58 St. John's University Jamaica & Our Lady of Angels
- St. Raphael's in East Meadow (1958-65)
- St. Mary of the Isle in Long Beach (1965-71)
- St. James in Seaford (1971-74)
- St. Rose of Lima in Massapequa (1974-78)
-Christ the King in Commack (1978-81)
- St. Patrick's in Huntington (1981-86)
- Holy Family in Hicksville (1986-91)
- Holy Cross in Vero Beach FL (1991-96)
- St. Paul of the Cross in North Palm Beach FL (1996-97)
- St. Pius X Residence in Uniondale (1998-2005)
- Retired (2000)
|Duvelsdorf was removed from St. Rose of Lima in 1978 after the diocese received an accusation that the priest had abused a 15-year-old boy and the boy's brother. But Duvelsdorf was then assigned to three other LI parishes, and given a clean bill of health for a transfer to the Palm Beach FL diocese, where he was removed from parish work in 1998 after being arrested for indecent exposure. Source: Sadly Familiar Tale, and History.|
Ferraro, Romano J.
- St. Joseph Patron of the Universal Church in the Brooklyn diocese (1961-62)
- St. Rosalia's in the Brooklyn diocese (1962-63)
- St. Lucy’s (Italian) in the Brooklyn diocese (1963-64)
- Holy Family in the Brooklyn diocese (1964-69)
- Chaplain in the U.S. Army, perhaps assigned to the U.S. Veterans Hospital in Brooklyn (1969-70)
- St. Rose of Lima in Rockaway Beach in the Brooklyn diocese (1970-73)
- St. Joseph's in King's Park in the Rockville Centre diocese (1973-77) [Ferraro is listed in the Directory as being "on sick leave" in these years, but with prompting, the church admitted that Ferraro worked at St. Joseph's then]
- St. Francis Xavier's in the Brooklyn diocese (in residence 1977-78)
- St. Aloysius in Queens in the Brooklyn diocese (in residence 1978-79)
- On sick leave in the Brooklyn diocese and released from diocesan assignment (1979-84)
|Ferraro is a Brooklyn priest whose four years in as an extern in the Rockville Centre diocese were not evident in the Directory or Brooklyn diocesan statements. Ferraro is serving a life sentence for repeatedly raping a boy in Massachusetts, and is also a defendant in suits filed in Brooklyn and St. Louis.|
|Born 12/1/40 in Ireland.|
Ordained 6/8/68 St. Columban and St. Patrick both in Ireland.
- St. Hedwig's in Floral Park (1970-74)
- St. Pius X in Plainview (1974-78)
- Holly Patterson Home in Uniondale (1978-82)
- St. Brigid's in Westbury (1982-85)
- St. Matthew's in Dix Hills (1985-86)
- St. Patrick's in Smithtown (1986-89)
- St. Ignatius Loyola in Palm Beach Gardens FL (1989-91)
- St. Lucie's in Port St. Lucie FL (1992-93)
- Our Lady of Lourdes in Boca Raton FL (1994-96)
- St. Lucie's in Port St. Lucie FL (1997-98)
- Food for the Poor in Deerfield Beach FL (perhaps the "special assignment 1999-2001 listed in the Directory)
- Retired 2001.
|"He fondled altar boys as they prepared for Mass, in a sauna at a health club, and during play 'wrestling' in his rectory bedroom.... [He] was reassigned to a diocese in Florida. He was later accused in Florida of molesting children in two parishes and was relieved of his duties." Source: Newsday on the Grand Jury Report.|
Hands, Michael R.
- Our Lady of Lourdes in West Islip (1993-98)
- St. Philip Neri in Northport (1998-2000)
- St. Raphael's in East Meadow (2000-2001)
- Absent on leave (2001-2002)
|"Ordained in 1993, this priest was later arrested in the abuse of an underage boy.... While in counseling, the priest told his therapist he had been abused by Priest O (Ribaudo). 'Each year he was abused six to ten times by Priest O,' the report says. The grand jury report says 'a high ranking diocesan official' asked Hands not to publicly disclose this abuse because it would be 'bad for diocesan public relations and finances ...'" Source: Newsday on the Grand Jury Report.|
Hasselbach, Kenneth C.
|- Born 4/27/40.|
- Ordained 5/28/66 CC & ICS.
- St. Jude's in Mastic-Shirley (1966-69)
- St. Raphael's in East Meadow (1969-72)
- Our Lady Queen of Martyrs in Centerport (1972-75)
- Queen of the Most Holy Rosary in Roosevelt (1975-79)
- San Pedro Apostol in El Cercado, Dominican Republic (1979-83)
- St. Francis de Sales in Patchogue (1983-84)
- St. Joseph's in Babylon (1984-91?)
- Our Lady of Mt. Carmel in Patchogue (1991-94)
- Assisting with Spanish in Port Jefferson
- Retirement 1994.
|Hasselbach was removed from Our Lady of Mount Carmel in 1994 after a fellow priest discovered a pornographic video. Then accusations were made that Hasselbach had fondled and sodomized a St. Raphael's altar boy for about five years, beginning when the boy was 12 years old. The abuse allegedly took place at the St. Raphael's and St. Jude's rectories and on trips.|
Huneke, Robert D.
- Born 4/29/40.
|"Four victims of this priest testified to the grand jury. 'By Priest M's own admissions there could have been more.' Two of the four were brothers. The priest's abuse of the boys was 'relentless' and included following them to their college." Source: Newsday on the Grand Jury Report.|
Logan, William R.
|- Born 8/23/42|
- Ordained 5/31/69
- St. Lawrence the Martyr in Sayville (6/20/69-2/1/75)
- St. Brigid in Westbury (2/1/75-6/18/80)
- St. James in Seaford (6/18/80-6/12/85)
- St. Raymond's in East Rockaway (6/12/85-6/14/89)
- St. Luke's in Brentwood (pastor, 6/14/89-1997)
- St. Christopher's in Baldwin (1997-99)
- St. Ignatius Martyr (pastor, 1999-2006)
- Health leave (2006)
- Our Lady of Consolation Nursing Home in West Islip (9/28/06-)
- Suspended (3/7/06-9/06)
|Accused on 1/9/06 of repeated sexual abuse of 13-year-old girl during 1980 in Seaford, involving hour-long embraces and warnings not to tell her parents. Logan was suspended on 3/7/06, and on 3/8/06 another woman accused him of kissing her and touching her inappropriately in the early 1970s in Sayville. A parent stated that in the early 1980s she spoke several times to Auxiliary Bishop James J. Daly about Logan's "sick and demented" actions with girls in Seaford, after Daly contacted her about Logan; Daly denies the conversations occurred. Logan was reinstated on 9/18/06. A suit was filed on 12/29/06 by the original complainant, accusing the diocesan child protection director of "psychotherapy and psychology malpractice" and "assault and battery" at a 2/23/06 meeting. On 2/23/07, another woman accused Logan of abuse in Sayville, filing criminal charges.|
Magee, Br. Finnian
|- St. Joseph's in Babylon (early 1970s, when McComiskey was a priest at the church)||Magee is "accused of groping and rubbing against a 12-year-old boy in the early 1970s at St. Joseph's Parish school in Babylon. M[ag]ee, a Franciscan brother and the boy's sixth-grade homeroom teacher, allegedly molested the boy in the classroom and his private school office."|
Mahoney, John E., OFM Cap
- St. Francis Retreat House in Garrison NY, Director (1964-73)
- Mary Immaculate Friary in Garrison NY, Librarian (1964-73)
- St. John Hospital in Smithtown NY, Chaplain (1973-74)
- St. Ann's Friary in Smithtown NY, Superior (1974-1976); indexed here as a monk but not so listed (1976-78)
- St. Barnabas the Apostle Church in Bellmore NY, Mass celebrant (2004 bulletin describes this arrangement as having been the case for "many years")
- Not indexed in the Official Catholic Directory for 1979, 1980)
- Guardian Angel Chapel at Wassaic Developmental Center, Wassaic NY, Chaplain (1980-82)
- Hospital in Wassaic NY, Chaplain, (1976-82) as per obituary
- North Shore Hospital in Manhasset NY, Chaplain (1982-84)
- St. John the Baptist Church in Manhattan NY, parish priest (1984-90)
- Blessed Sacrament Church in Manchester NH, Parochial Vicar (1990-94)
- St. Francis Friary in Garrison NY, Provincial Archivist (1994-98)
- St. Conrad Friary in White Plains NY, Provincial Archivist (1998-2002)
- St. Lawrence Friary in Beacon NY, business manager (2002-2004)
- Died 12/15/04
|“Allegedly spanked and caressed the bare buttocks of an 11-year-old altar boy from St. Barnabas the Apostle Church in Bellmore on a trip to West Point that he organized in 1967.” Source: Lawsuits Detail.|
|Accused of abusing a 12-year-old boy from St. Margaret of Scotland in Selden during retreats in 1979 at the order's Garrison facility. Massaro was reportedly removed from Blessed Sacrament in Manchester after the Capuchins received an allegation that Massaro had abused a Queens boy at the Glenclyffe, Garrison NY retreat facility in 1986.|
- Founded Capuchin Youth and Family Ministries
apostolate at Garrison NY (1978)
- St. Francis Friary in Glenclyffe-Garrison NY (1988-91) role unspecified in new Directory format for two years, then vicar (1990-93) and youth and family ministries (1991-93); and then guardian (1993-97), which was the top position at the friary, with preaching ministry added (1995-97).
- Pius X in Middletown CT in the Norwich diocese (in residence 1997-9/99) from which he coordinated the preaching apostolate of the New York-New England Capuchin
- Blessed Sacrament in Manchester NH (in residence 9/99-5/14/05) while Massaro conducted preaching ministry in New England and NY.
McComiskey, Joseph C.
Ordained 5/30/70 CC, ICS, and Columbia (psychology and counseling).
- St. Joseph's in Babylon (1970-75)
- SS. Philip and James in St. James (1975-77)
- Maria Regina High School in Uniondale (counselor and chaplain 7/77 - 9/78)
- St. Agnes Cathedral (1978-86)
- St. Ignatius Martyr in Long Beach (1986-90)
- St. Edward the Confessor in Syosset (pastor 1990-2002)
|An allegation against McComiskey was made on the diocese's new sex abuse hotline and was referred to local prosecutors. |
McConaghy, R. Thomas
|- LaSalle Military Academy in Oakdale NY in the Rockville Centre diocese (the school was run by the Christian Brothers; McConnaghy was reportedly "commandant" of the school in the mid 1970s)|
- Ordained 1981.
- St. Andrew's in Colchester CT (1981-83)
- St. Patrick's Cathedral in Norwich CT (1983-85)
- St. Colman's in Middlefield (1985-90) as administrator and assistant; in late 1988 or early 1989 McConnaghy became sole priest at the parish; in late 1989 or 1990 Sr. Guytina Campisi, M.P.F., became director of religious education
- St. Michael in Pawcatuck CT (pastor 1990-99) with Sr. Guytina Campisi as school principal (1993-96)
- Sacred Heart in Norwich CT (pastor 1999-2005)
- St. John Mission Church in Fitchville CT (pastor 1998-2005)
|"McConaghy is accused of molesting a student at the LaSalle Military Academy in Oakdale, N.Y., on Long Island between 1973 and 1975. McConaghy was the academy's commandant at the time, before he became a priest in Norwich in 1981." He denies the allegation.|
McKeon, Brian A.
Ordained 3/26/77 CC & ICS.
- St. Anthony of Padua in East Northport (1977-82)
- Good Shepherd in Holbrook (1982-90)
- St. Anne's in Garden City (1990-99, pastor beginning in 1995)
- Nassau County Medical Center in East Meadow (chaplain 1999-2001, with Ditta)
- Our Lady of Good Counsel in Mattituck (weekend Masses -2001)
- Not listed in 2003 Directory index
|"He 'wreaked havoc' by abusing boys as young as 10. 'For this, he was rewarded by being a pastor ... He left behind a trail of alcohol abuse, depression, anger and disillusionment,' and his own pastor 'turned a blind eye to his behavior.'" Source: Newsday on the Grand Jury Report.|
Michell, George J.
- Born 7/26/35
|Accused on 6/6/03 of "inappropriate conduct" in the early 1980s and placed on leave. Michell has denied the accusation.|
Millar, Andrew L.
Born 7/4/30 in Antrim, Ireland.
|"This priest was 'ultimately allowed to retire from active status after serious, credible allegations of child abuse against him were brought to the attention of the diocese within the criminal statute of limitations.' He was arrested for the abuse of one boy. The [Grand Jury] account matched allegations against ... Millar, who was arrested for abusing a learning disabled boy in 1999 and was sentenced the following year to 1 to 3 years in prison." Source: Newsday on the Grand Jury Report.|