Sample Contract, a Letter of Agreement
A Less Formal Option for Your Contract
As a professional freelance writer, you know you need some kind of contract or document that covers the arrangements made between you and your client. But what if you need something fast, or perhaps a document that is a little less formal?
A Letter of Agreement often serves to informally outline all of your agreed-upon terms, but without the extensive legalese of other freelance contracts. Freelance writers may opt to use this alternative form of a contract to simplify the process while still protecting themselves.
What Is a Letter of Agreement?
The Letter of Agreement is indeed in the form of a letter, yet it still requires two signatures and protects both parties.
Notice how detailed the sample letter is below. Generally, I include the following sections in a Letter of Agreement:
- Services to be Provided
- Services Not Provided
- Final Deliverables
- Delivery Terms
- Payment Terms
Sample Letter of Agreement
The following sample is very loosely based on an actual LOA that a client floated to me in the negotiations stage of a project. All identifying information has been changed (obvs!)
Use the below outline to prepare a LOA for your client, or to take to your lawyer as a starting point for your project.
As with all samples on this website, text of the document is given in regular font, and instructions are included in italics.
Client Name (Insert)
LETTER OF AGREEMENT
Name of Project (Make sure it's descriptive)
As promised, I have set out below a description of the services that I, Your Name, ("Editor") will provide to you, Client Name ("Author"), together with our agreed-upon fees. I will provide the following services: (The following list will then set out all the needs and wants that I've negotiated with the client. Notice the details I've covered, such as style guide, tone, and so on):
- High-level editing and proofreading of website copy using Microsoft Word's "track changes."
- Final delivery in Word .doc format with "track changes" feature turned on.
- Style choices and issues will be determined based upon the AP Style Guide and the client's house style.
- Author's tone and style will be retained.
- Documents will be returned edited within 48 hours (business days only, unless specifically requested by author).
Please note that we have not agreed to these services (this is equally important and serves to clarify the agreement):
- Software conversion (i.e., PDF or similar).
- Graphic changes or edits.
- Whatever else you can think of, here is the place to carefully avoid problems.
Final Deliverables: (these should be actual, tangible delivered products)
- Five Word documents with "track changes" feature turned on.
- All notes and research used for this project, via a summarized Word document.
- A clean PDF copy of all documents with changes accepted.
Delivery Terms: (how and when each piece of the project is to be trafficked between both parties. Will you use email? An FTP site? etc.)
- Author to provide manuscript via Microsoft Word or convertible file.
- Editor to return manuscript via Word in 48 hours.
- Editor to provide invoice with completed manuscript.
- Author to pay by check within 3 working days for said work.
My fee for these services will be as follows: (All fee details go here)
- $10 per 200 words
- Additional expenses: No additional expenses are anticipated; no additional expenses will be charged. (This is the ideal place to add shipping fees, Paypal fees, etc. if needed)
- Payment can be made to Paypal or check/money order to the address above.
- Payments will be due three days after copy is returned to the author.
- No new copy will be taken on until payment is made for previous work completed.
- Any outstanding payment issues will be referred to an attorney representative at (name of your union if you are in one. One example is the National Writers Union. This is also a good place to outline your personal steps in collecting unpaid freelance writing payments.)
If you agree that the foregoing fairly sets out your understanding of our mutual responsibilities, please initial a copy of this letter in the space indicated below via typing, fill in requested address information and email it back to me. However, if you'd like changes made, let's chat!
Insert signature lines and dates here.
Conclusion: Your Sample LOA
Again, this sample LOA shows that a relatively informal document can outline all your negotiations and clarify your project with your client. Other kinds of contracts, such as a Statement of Work or a full, legal contract are also viable options for the freelance writer-client relationship.
*Please note: I am not a lawyer. The above advice is not meant to take the place of professional legal counsel. I suggest that all freelance writers purchase a standard contract, whether a LOA, SOW or more formal contract, through a lawyer. Low-cost legal help can be obtained through joining the National Writers Union.
Your resume should have substance as well as style so you're noticed for the best graphic designer jobs. To see how you can portray your full creative abilities to employers, review our sample resume for a graphic designer below, and download the sample resume for a graphic designer in Word. Additionally, you can learn about creative design careers on Monster.
If you need additional resume writing tips, join Monster today, so the experts at Monster's Resume Writing Service can help you impress employers with a high-impact resume and cover letter for jobs in graphic design.
Highly creative and multitalented Graphic Designer with extensive experience in multimedia, marketing and print design. Exceptional collaborative and interpersonal skills; dynamic team player with well-developed written and verbal communication abilities. Highly skilled in client and vendor relations and negotiations; talented at building and maintaining “win-win” partnerships. Passionate and inventive creator of innovative marketing strategies and campaigns; accustomed to performing in deadline-driven environments with an emphasis on working within budget requirements.
Creative experience in the following:
- Brochures & Newsletters
- Logos & Business Cards
- Posters & Post Cards
- Black & White Photography
- Photograph Restoration
- WEB & Multimedia
- Website Design
- Video Editing
- Video Photomontages
- Social Media
Cygnet Media Productions, Long Beach, California
Art Director – Graphic Design, 2007 – Present
Successfully manage and coordinate graphic design projects from concept through completion. Work closely with clients to create vision, conceive designs, and consistently meet deadlines and requirements. Effectively build, motivate, and direct design and production teams. Coordinate freelance designers, consultants and vendors to meet all project requirements. Create and conduct highly persuasive sales and marketing presentations. Expertly convert features to benefits to achieve client objectives. Manage all operational, strategic, financial, quote/bid, staffing, and administrative functions.
- Successfully completed client projects worth up to $470,000.
- Provided proposal layout and design for million-dollar corporate contracts under extremely tight deadlines.
- Established trusting relationships with designers, vendors, and key clients.
Market Studios, Ltd., Norwalk, California
Senior Graphic Designer, 2005 – 2007
Successfully translated subject matter into concrete design for newsletters, promotional materials and sales collateral. Created design theme and graphics for marketing and sales presentations, training videos and corporate websites. Participated in team effort to produce streamlined production of policy manuals and educational materials for newly hired employees and freelance designers.
- Earned several awards for providing graphic design support to both headquarter employees and hundreds of field offices.
- Coordinated staff participation in community-sponsored charitable events.
Dimensions, Huntington Beach, California
Graphic Designer, 2003 – 2005
Created new design themes for marketing and collateral materials. Collaborated with creative team to design and produce computer-generated artwork for marketing and promotional materials. Participated in production of print and promotional items for key clients under direction of Marketing Department.
- Consistently recognized for fresh and innovative ideas and applications.
- Developed new art-proofing system that increased overall quality of production and improved customer satisfaction to 97%.
- Recruited by ABC Corporation to become their Senior Graphic Designer.
Bachelor of Arts in Marketing, Minor in Graphic Arts, 2003
University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California
Mac OS, Windows 7/8/10
Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat, Fireworks, PageMaker, Flash); QuarkXPress; MS Project, MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook); HTML5